Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Time lapses
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Time lapses
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Time lapses 6 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 12
So I have taken down my story Blind Love and revamping the whole thing cause I am having a mid-mid-life crisis at 26. The original first chapter did not have time lapses. The revamped version will. What do you think is the best way to write these?

Currently, I have:

Something as a child

Something as an adult

Any thoughts or ideas? I've just binge read every story I ever favourited and every author I have favourited getting some ideas. This also helps me get motivated to write again, again mid-mid-life crisis.

I have a one shot that is time lapsed but it has dates. I what this chapter really as a back story to fill in some gaps and give Blind Love a solid foundation.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Time lapses 6 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 154
Your method looks good. One of the better time-lapse stories I've read is Safe by Oboko-chan. (This is an Ouran High School Host Club story, rated M on FF.N, but I think MA here.)

The time switches in that story are done the way that you propose, with just a basic break between them. If the writing is well done, there's no need to indicate at the beginning of each section when it is taking place, unless the specific date and/or time is important to the plot. And if the writing isn't well done, all those "Flashback" or "Past/Present" titles can still be really annoying (personal opinion, I'm sure some people love 'em).

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Time lapses 6 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 12
Nicole,

That was what I wanted to avoid. I hate seeing that. I know some authors do it, I just don't want to do it ya know?

Thank you for the example!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.